Puzzletome Home Page Puzzletome
Discuss all aspects of the Puzzletome website

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bazza
Thy mother's name is ominous to children

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Average guesses Reply with quote

Whilst I'm pondering my current puzzle, I've cast the occasional glance at the leaderboard.

As of today, there are nine people in the lead a good many puzzles ahead and the average for that puzzle is "166.333". By my maths that implies that the leading team of 7 (forgive me if this assumption is false) and the other two individuals have expended almost 1500 guesses between them. Surprised

Is this analysis correct Question It doesn't bode well for this puzzle's methodology, assuming I ever get that far.

Coffee
Aeirould
Thou damned and luxurious mountain goat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the official doctrine, and everything I've seen so far, the "curve of difficulty" here is much steeper than PuzzleDonkey's. The Round 5 puzzles are going to be severe challenges even *for* the teams. Heck, round 4's proving hard enough.
Si
King of Fools

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Average guesses Reply with quote

bazza wrote:
Is this analysis correct Question It doesn't bode well for this puzzle's methodology, assuming I ever get that far.

I think it is fair to say they are trying to get lucky on the Round 4 Gateway!
SparkPlug
Because I can

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Average guesses Reply with quote

bazza wrote:
By my maths that implies that the leading team of 7 (forgive me if this assumption is false) and the other two individuals have expended almost 1500 guesses between them.

Dont give those two lurkers more credit than they deserve, it's a "team" of nine. Razz

Si, would now ge a good time for you to put up an analysis of the number of guesses each person has had... I for one have whacked in a few but all have been found... except "dusty bin" of course.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: