Puzzletome Home Page Puzzletome
Discuss all aspects of the Puzzletome website

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Guess limits
Like them a lot
23%
 23%  [ 10 ]
They're okay, I guess
18%
 18%  [ 8 ]
Indifferent
30%
 30%  [ 13 ]
I don't like them much
16%
 16%  [ 7 ]
Argh, I hate them, I hate you and I'll leave forever if you have them
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
Other (please leave a comment)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 43

T_Hunter
Thou whoreson cullionly barbermonger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must concur ... it was an excellent post, specifically the couple of examples cited (perhaps, the "crossed" response to one individual's conceptually ideal, yet unrealistic assertion could have been omitted) Razz

Both examples shed new light on the issue from both ends of the puzzling spectrum.

I must admit that I never really considered the latter example and although I'm relatively new to puzzling ... in the context of a live contest, I can't imagine that any experienced, passionate (read competitive) puzzler wants to be outguessed at the finish after 2 to 4 days straight.

Thumbs up I find myself now leaning from "indifferent", my original vote, to "likes them alot" ... providing they are implemented as it has been discussed ... graded from something like 15, per your favorite unit of time, at the beginning of a contest to 5 or so, towards the end of a contest.

mistermickster wrote:
I'm confused. Confused

Only a short time ago, I was reading T22's excellent post on this issue, and now it appears to have gone.

Must have hit somebody's raw nerve Razz

Mr. Matlack can't offend."

"Why can't they just say, go to this place, here's the treasure, spend it wisely?"
Titanium22
your chamber lye breeds fleas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T_Hunter wrote:
I must concur ... it was an excellent post, specifically the couple of examples cited (perhaps, the "crossed" response to one individual's conceptually ideal, yet unrealistic assertion could have been omitted) Razz

This is getting a bit silly, as people are now referring to a post that no longer exists...LOL!

However, here is an edited version of what I wrote.

T22 wrote:
Coming back to the topic of this thread - let me give you some real examples (although obviously I won't name names).

We have a member who has started almost every contest that we have launched in the last 18 months or so, and who has also gone back to try older contests as well. The member in question has (to the best of my knowledge) never progressed beyond 8 or 10 puzzles in *any* contest, but has managed to rack up more than 600 guesses to "solve" 6 easy puzzles in one contest alone - and where everyone else who has completed that contest needed no more than two or three guesses at most to solve those same 6 puzzles.

We also have teams who are experienced and regular puzzlers, who are also fairly early finishers, but who regularly rack up a total of well over 1500 guesses on contests that others complete with a total guess count of 50 or less.

And there are, of course, the teams who never sprint to the finish in contests, but who take their time to think about the puzzles while refusing any help - and who get upset if their guess count exceeds perhaps 10. I applaud them, because they are genuine puzzlers.

The intention behind introducing a guess limit is to encourage people to *think* and not just assume that they can pass (not solve) puzzles if they enter enough random answers.

What is the point of entering an answer that happens to be correct if you have no idea how it is derived...? Is there any satisfaction in that...? And will it help you to learn...?

I included references in my original post that were directed specifically at JStozz and his comments earlier in this thread. He has subsequently explained to me by PM that he was not trying to slight the PT site at all (although he says that his comments were indeed relevant to another site that I alluded to in my original reply) - so it now seems fair to omit those specific references.

Hey ho, another day - another drama...LOL! Very Happy

T22
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: