Puzzletome Home Page Puzzletome
Discuss all aspects of the Puzzletome website

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View previous topic :: View next topic  
theandygrant
This is the foul fiend Flibbertigibbet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: previous guesses Reply with quote

is there any facility to see what guesses I've already tried for a question?

Perhaps the number-of-guesses figure on the stats page could be a link that would then list what you've entered?

Just a thought, but it'd be dead handy (no pun intended) for the one I'm on at the moment where I know what sort of thing I need, just not what the precise word is.

Seeing as the guesses are stored in the database anyway, could this go on the wish list?
Stretham
Forum Hardass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: previous guesses Reply with quote

theandygrant wrote:

Perhaps the number-of-guesses figure on the stats page could be a link that would then list what you've entered?

Just a thought, but it'd be dead handy (no pun intended) for the one I'm on at the moment where I know what sort of thing I need, just not what the precise word is.

Seeing as the guesses are stored in the database anyway, could this go on the wish list?

It's a good idea, but one that alas we can't do. The reason for this is that we compress the database every day by removing certain information, and one the things that goes is the link between answer and person who entered it. We still retain the number of times a particular answer has been tried, but there would be no way of telling whose it was.

If we didn't do that compression then the database would be much bigger and slower to search. (It's already slower than we would like, but we're looking into a way of reducing time taken for stats to display.)

Stretham
Scoots
Thy mother's name is ominous to children

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: previous guesses Reply with quote

Stretham wrote:
we compress the database every day by removing certain information, and one the things that goes is the link between answer and person who entered it. We still retain the number of times a particular answer has been tried, but there would be no way of telling whose it was.
Stretham

Can I just say - I'm greatly relieved to hear that! Razz
jojo the joyful
O ho monster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: previous guesses Reply with quote

theandygrant wrote:

On my PC everytime I enter an answer I have a list of similarly spelt words appear under the box. This tells me if I entered that answer before but not for that particular question.

BTW is there a way I can empty my cache? I have entered so many wrong answers over the last 62 Q's it may well prove useful if I ever pass off my current prob Wink
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: